Director of Global Services
Founded out of Harvard University and MIT in 2002, Dimagi is a small, award-winning global technology company with an impact-focused business model that delivers open source technology to help underserved communities in over 60 countries around the world. Our team of exceptional public health and development specialists, software developers, engineers, and field staff apply their experience in technology development, implementation, and global health care delivery to further public health and wellbeing. Our Global Services team is responsible for the implementation and delivery of projects using our core technology platform CommCare.
Dimagi’s Work in India
In the next few years, our India office has set aggressive goals, both for Dimagi and across the mHealth industry, to dramatically improve healthcare delivery at scale in India and the South and East Asia regions. Global Services is the largest team within our India office, charged with the design, application development, rollout, and support of our health applications. We will continue to build on the early success of our two largest in-flight projects, in which we are partnering with the government to roll out tools for the management of malnutrition and tuberculosis across tens of thousands of health workers to improve the lives of over a hundred million beneficiaries. To do this, we are growing our world-class team and are seeking an ambitious global leader to usher this office into the new era.
Dimagi is seeking a Director of Global Services to lead and grow our 25-person Global Services team in India.
In this role, you will:
- Provide leadership, organisation, and focus to our Global Services team in Delhi.
- Work with other country offices, and our global Operations, Technology, and Partnerships teams to innovate new processes and streamline existing ones
- Work with our project managers and project directors to oversee project delivery for our mHealth projects that are scaling across the country
- Innovate and improve on our existing team structure to ensure that we have the right people, skills, and managers to drive the success of our ambitious and groundbreaking work
- Set a high bar for individual performance and project excellence, and manage and build the team around you to meet that bar
- Ensure the team is coordinated, motivated, trained, and empowered to achieve our scale goals in 2018-2020
- Have the unique opportunity to help shape the future vision of an award-winning socially conscious technology company and industry leader in mHealth services in India.
Who you are:
You have led large-scale complex projects, systems, and teams. You are passionate about empowering teams to succeed and about creating the next generation of leaders. You are determined to make a big impact in global health and development, even if it defies convention and requires risk.
Compensation will depend on level of experience and qualifications but will be competitive with local rates. We are seeking a 3-year commitment for this position, but employment is at-will according to company policies.
Global Services Leadership
- Drive program strategy and provide technical leadership to Dimagi’s Global Services work in India
- Drive process improvements in how Dimagi India delivers its services and technology to achieve impact
- Coordinate and align with other global departments: Business Development, Operations, Technology collaborating with colleagues in Boston, US, Cape Town, South Africa and Dakar, Senegal
- Develop, implement, and share delivery strategies and best practices with global services teams around the world.
- Oversight of project delivery at Dimagi India, in projects across India and the region. This includes point of escalation and guidance for all project managers, as well as working with project managers to handle strategic and critical partner meetings.
- In order to develop Dimagi-specific context and to remain connected with the day-to-day work of global services, you will also spend time managing project(s). This involves working alongside Project Managers and Field Managers in building applications, visiting community field sites, and training partner staff from time to time.
- Drive continuous improvement, efficiently delivering better, higher impact projects at greater scale.
- Oversee the entire Global Services team in India. This includes managing the professional growth, opportunities, performance, and satisfaction of the team.
- Establish a vision for the future development and required competencies of this team, lead efforts for strategic hiring, and develop strategic relationships with relevant implementation partners
- Directly manage senior members of the India Global Services team and enable career growth and development opportunities for these people
- Continuously develop and improve a world-class India team with the drive and competencies to create long-lasting systemic improvements to the public healthcare system
- Organizational structure and development
- Organize skills development and strategic retreats
- Coordinate and collaborate the above efforts in partnership with Dimagi’s People Operations team.
Required experience, skills and qualifications
- Excellent time management skills: Able to get things done at quality and on time
- Strong problem solver: Comfort with unstructured problems and ability to manage complexities under pressure.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills and email management skills
- Proven experience using data for decision making
- Fully autonomous and self-directed
- Empathetic and collaborative leadership style, and a strong believer in a meritocratic organizational culture
- Demonstrated experience in managing million-dollar complex projects, with proven ability to work effectively with diverse partners
- Experience leading a team through transition and growth
- Experience managing 5+ team members directly and 10+ team members indirectly, including fostering their growth and development
- Minimum 6 years of relevant experience in large program, project, or team management
- Minimum 5 years of demonstrated excellence in senior level management and leadership, including direct supervision of professional and support staff, evaluation of staff performance, and project delivery
- Fluent in oral and written English
- Degree in engineering, technology, business, public health, international development, or other related fields.
- Familiarity with the software development life cycle and experience managing the delivery of software projects, whether from a project management or engineering perspective: Appetite and ability to grasp and apply complex technical concepts.
- Previous experience managing a major department or country office
- Strong understanding of project management methodologies, preferably with experience in project management tools like Microsoft Project or Asana
- Experience working with the Indian government
- Experience working in an international team
- Fluency in Hindi.
Other Job Perks
- Team Summits. The entire team will get together at least annually to meet each other, discuss goals, debate strategy, and have some fun. Read about two staff members’ takes on summits in Cape Town and Dakar.
- Each year, you will get 30 days paid time off.
- Trust, flexibility, and autonomy. We conduct extensive interviews to make sure we only hire the best. From the moment you join, you will not only take on significant responsibility, you will also be trusted to flexibly manage your hours and balance office time with working from home.
- 12 weeks of parental leave
- If you are asked to move to a country that is not where you are from, you are eligible for one round-trip flight home per year, paid for by Dimagi.
- Do you like travel? You will get significant travel experiences, if so desired, often to very off-the-beaten-path locations. You will also get unique opportunities to travel internationally within your first two years, either to a different country for project travel, to a different country office, or both.
Please submit your application by October 11th, 2017.