Delegate Finance/ Administration and Project Management
The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects internationally on appeals of their sister organisations within the Movement.
GRC is currently seeking a Delegate for Finance/Administration and Project Management for Iraq.
Between 2012 and 2015, GRC was part of a Consortium, supporting the Iraqi Red Crescent Society in the development of a 5-year strategy ‘together as one’ and a Plan of Action to implement the strategy. Besides this strategy development process, GRC has been supporting IRCS in its relief operations since September 2014.
The KRI (Kurdish Region Iraq) and surrounding areas have received since the beginning of 2014 well over 3.2 million IDPs and are as well hosting around 244,000 Syrian refugees.
Since the beginning of the conflict and the displacement in the North, the IRCS was engaged in relief operations. Currently in the implementation of the 3rd response project, financed by the German Federal Foreign Office (AA), relief activities focus on addressing winterization, summerization (through CTP or in-kind) and First Aid needs of the affected population. Furthermore, the GRC is supporting the IRCS in building its capacities in the field of Disaster Management including reporting, DRR in schools and Cash Preparedness.
Duration: from 01.10.2017 until 31.08.2018, with a possible extension
Location: Dohuk, Northern Iraq, with travels to other parts of the country
Responsibilities and Tasks:
The Delegate for Finance/Administration & PM will report directly and be closely working with the current acting Project Manager in Dohuk in securing the overall financial and administrative quality (including the prevention of corruption and fraud) of the program and projects. He / She will ensure that the GRC office finances, administration and standard operating procedures are applied and maintained, and where necessary, strengthened and improved.
After a thorough introductory phase, it is intended that the Delegate will take over additional PM tasks from the acting Project Manager in Dohuk so that the two positions would be merged. The final decision will be made in the course of the next months. The focus would gradually shift from Finance and Admin management to overall project management, although still remaining a strong focus on finance management for the location of Dohuk.
Specific tasks for Finance/Admin Management will entail:
- Ensure that the finances related tasks in the GRC offices in Iraq are running in line with all financial requirements from GRC and donor side; rules and regulations need to be adhered to; GRC finance software needs to be applied
- In terms of financial issues, supervise GRC Delegates and National Finance and Administration Officers and provide support and assistance in the financial and administrative management of projects (budgeting, reporting, accounting, application of GRC and donor regulations etc.) in the region / country
- Ensure appropriate financial reporting (documentation monthly closure)
- Monitor the project expenses of each project and support the GRC Delegates in preparation of budget amendments and new project budgets for project proposals in collaboration with the National Society
- Strengthen the capacity of GRC local staff, National Society finance staff and GRC Delegates on financial/admin management through technical support and training on: financial software, financial/admin rules and regulations, budget management and monitoring, and donor regulations
- Cooperation with external and internal auditors
- Administration of Project Office in Dohuk including Human Resources of GRC national staff
Specific tasks for general Project Management:
- Together with the Host National Society (HNS) ensure that project activities are implemented in accordance with the agreed project documents and that donor requirements including reporting regulations are fulfilled
- Coordinate and actively network with all relevant projects/ organisations/ institutions at project level to ensure, as much as possible, synergies and a minimum of overlapping activities
- Actively explore new project opportunities, and if relevant write new project proposals including Logframe development and Work & Financial Planning
- Academic training in economics and financial management
- Proven experiences in bookkeeping/accounting, administrative issues and financial reporting of international development cooperations (minimum of 3 years work experience)
- Ability to manage and control cash flow in multiple projects
- Experience in managing institutional funds provided by the European Commission, German Mofa (AA), BMZ and other governmental institutions
- Excellent computer skills in MS office and common accounting software
- Communication, management and training skills
- Basic experience in Project Cycle Management
- Awareness and acceptance of the risks associated with this mission; Readiness to work under stress
- Ability to work independently and as a team member as well as in multi cultural environments; Cultural sensitivity and awareness and a good sense of humour
- Knowledge of Red Cross and Red Cresent principles and readiness to adhere to them
- Oral and written fluency in English is a requirement. German, Kurdish or Arabic is a strong advantage
- Readiness to go on assignment without partner
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process 'working abroad under specific climate and health conditions'
- Valid Driving Licence
What we offer you:
You will be part of a highly motivated professional and multicultural team. We offer you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC, an expatriation allowance during your mission as well as the accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package GRC is covering a home flight within a 12-months period of assignment. Medical check-ups and Psychosocial Support Service are included in your assignment and last but not least a comprehensive training package as well as briefings prior, during and after your mission will complete your employment.
Kindly apply by submitting your application by using the GRC online application system DRK HRnet until 3rd September 2017.
Please indicate Ref. No. 2017 - 138 with your application.
Further information on our recruiting procedure can be found on our homepage.