Delegate for Capacity Building on Climate-Sensitive Disaster Risk Management
The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a world wide community assisting victims of conflict, disaster and people affected by social or health-related crisis. The Red Cross movement provides vulnerable people with assistance exclusive of discrimination of nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven principles of the Red Cross movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross intervenes in disaster response and rehabilitation, health, social and environmental as well as capacity building projects in cooperation with international sister organisations within the movement.
The GRC is currently looking for an experienced Project Manager with a strong advisory role for a Capacity Building Project on Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) in Disaster Risk Management (DRM). The donor-funded project aims at building up and strengthening the institutional & technical capacities, structures and strategies of its partner, the Pakistan Red Crescent Society (PRCS), on national, provincial and community level (urban and rural) and linking it up with government structures and policies. Adapted preparedness instruments (incl. Early Warning Systems) will be tested on community level and the results will feed back into the PRCS internal process.
The project reaches out to PRCS, government, community structures and other relevant stakeholders in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Sindh, Punjab, Gilgit Baltistan and Balochistan.
Duration: 24 months, starting October 2017
Location: Islamabad, Pakistan with frequent travelling
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Comprehensive Project Management of a long-term Capacity Building Project, incl. financial planning and management of project activities
- Facilitate the development of a PRCS policy related to CCA in DRM
- Develop appropriate activities, exchange and coordination mechanisms to increase the communities’ resilience against climate change and natural disasters through intensive dialogue with communities, PRCS, local and national authorities and other relevant stakeholders
- Develop and implement an appropriate M&E system
- Supervise and ensure adequate project documentation, regular financial and narrative reporting according to donor requirements
- Ensure involvement of and coordination with all relevant stakeholders of civil society and government institutions in order to make PRCS a recognised partner in climate sensitive DRM
- Close coordination of project activities and requirements with all RC/RC movement partners in Pakistan
- Recruit local staff, train and manage delegates, local staff and volunteers
- At least 5 years working experience related to Climate Change Adaptation and Disaster Risk Management
- Experience in Urban DRM/DRR and Early Warning Systems is preferred
- Experience in managing donor-funded projects (e.g. German Government, DIPECHO and ECHO)
- Profound management skills to implement a comprehensive development project
- Proven skills in diplomacy, negotiation and facilitation of capacity building or OD processes
- Profound knowledge and proven experience in Research, Monitoring and Evaluation
- University degree in a relevant field
- Readiness to travel to remote areas
- Ability to work, live and travel in an insecure environment, following our strict security guidelines at all times
- Ability and agreement to adhere to the Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles
- Oral and written fluency in English, German would be an asset
- Proven ability to work independently and as a team member
- Readiness to go on assignment without partner / no family posting
- Ability to work effectively in multi-cultural environments
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process 'working abroad under specific climate and health conditions'
- Valid Driving Licence
What we offer:
You will be part of a highly motivated professional and multicultural team. We offer you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC, an expatriation allowance during your mission as well as the accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package GRC is covering a home flight within a 12-months period of assignment. Medical check-ups and Psychosocial Support Service are included in your assignment and last but not least a comprehensive training package as well as briefings prior, during and after your mission will complete your employment.
Kindly apply by submitting your application by using the GRC online application system DRK HRnet until 11th September 2017.
Please indicate Ref. No. 2017 - 136 with your application.
Further information on our recruiting procedure can be found on our homepage.