Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- Is it the right time for the international community to exit Sierra Leone?
- J. Allouche / Institute of Development Studies UK, 2013
- A glance at key indicators – in terms of growth forecast and stable elections – will project Sierra Leone as a model for a successful post-conflict state. However, a detailed analysis of the country’s socioeco...
- ‘Forced Marriage’ in conflict situations: researching and prosecuting old harms and new crimes
- Canadian Journal of Human Rights, 2013
- In this article, the author explores the crime of forced marriage in conflict situations and argues that the practices referred to as forced marriage in war (which can include kidnap, rape, confinement, forced domestic services, impre...
- Getting smart and scaling up: responding to the impact of organized crime on governance in developing countries
- C. Kavanagh / Center on International Cooperation, New York University, 2013
- The development landscape is rapidly changing and new centres of economic dynamism are emerging. At the same time, organized criminal activity, including illicit trafficking and financial flows, is increasing in these same settings, o...
- Rebuilding Local Government finance after conflict: The political economy of property tax reform in post-conflict Sierra Leone
- S. Jibao; W. Prichard / Research4Development, 2013
- This research explores relatively successful reforms of the local property tax system in the four largest city councils in Sierra Leone. Deriving lessons from differing outcomes across the four councils, it highlights three key messag...
- Gender and Vulnerability to Cholera in Sierra Leone: Gender analysis of the 2012 cholera outbreak and an assessment of Oxfam's response
- N. Rancourt / Oxfam, 2013
- While vibrio cholera is an ‘equal opportunity’ infection, it is not gender-neutral. Sex, age and social status are factors that may contribute to individuals’ vulnerability to cholera, by dictating social roles and b...
- Study examining linkages between climate change adaptation and food security stakeholders in the west African sub-region
- A. E. Agwu; C. L. Egbule; F. O. Amadu / African Journals Online - AJOL, 2012
- Published in the Journal of Agricultural Extensions, this paper outlines a study examining the linkages among actors in climate change and food security innovation systems in the west African sub-region. The study involved questionnai...
- Citizens, media and good governance: guidelines for journalists
- N. Dramat 2011
- Produced as part of the Mwananchi Programme, which seeks to strengthen ordinary citizens voices, and improve state accountability and responsiveness to citizens' interests in Ethiopia, Ghana, Malawi, Sierra Leone, Uganda and Zambia, t...
- Considering governance in post-conflict Sierra Leone
- J.B.M. Vincent / Wiley Online Library, 2013
- Sierra Leone is one of a number of states that underwent a period of civil war and collapse after the end of the Cold War. This article offers a bottom-up review of the post-war reconstruction of the Sierra Leone state. The paper poin...
- 2012 Global Hunger Index. The challenge of hunger: Ensuring sustainable food security under land, water, and energy stresses
- K. von Grebmer 2012
- The 2012 GHI report focuses particularly on the issue of how to ensure sustainable food security under conditions of water, land, and energy stress. Demographic changes, rising incomes and associated consumption patterns, and climate ...
- MSI Mobile Outreach Services Retrospective evaluations from Ethiopia, Myanmar, Pakistan, Sierra Leone and Viet Nam.
- E. Gillian / Marie Stopes International, 2010
- A service evaluation was conducted across five MSI mobile outreach programmes (Ethiopia, Myanmar, Pakistan, Sierra Leone and Viet Nam). The study provides information to programmes on whether MSI mobile outreach services provide consi...