Afghanistan and Conflict and security
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS conflict collection
- Search for the latest conflict-related print documents on this country from the British Library for Development Studies collection
- Winning Hearts and Minds? Examining the Relationship between Aid and Security in Afghanistan’s Faryab Province
- G. Gompelman / Feinstein International Center, USA, 2011
- Afghanistan has been a testing ground for a key aspect of counterinsurgency doctrine, namely that humanitarian and development projects can help to bring or maintain security in strategically important environments, and by winni...
- Post-war programme implementation and procurement: Afghanistan
- A.J. McKechnie / Overseas Development Institute, 2011
- Compared to other countries emerging from violent conflict, Afghanistan was relatively successful in mobilising and utilising international assistance. Yet typically in countries emerging from fragility, governments and their diplomat...
- From resolution to reality: lessons learned from Afghanistan, Nepal and Uganda on women's participation in peacebuilding and post-conflict governance
- CARE International, 2010
- UN Security Council Resolution 1325 (SCR 1325, 2000) was hailed a victory for women’s rights activists around the world. The adoption of the resolution represented a significant step forward in recognising the strategic contribu...
- A place at the table: safeguarding women’s rights in Afghanistan
- L. Hancock / Make Trade Fair Campaign, Oxfam International, 2011
- Ten years on from the start of the western intervention in Afghanistan, Afghan women are facing an uncertain future. Women have strived for, and made important gains, since the fall of the Taliban in 2001, including in political parti...
- Managing an effective reintegration infrastructure to achieve durable peace in Afghanistan
- D. Derksen (ed) / International Peace Research Institute, Oslo, 2011
- Since late 2010 the Afghan government, supported by its international partners, has tried to reintegrate insurgents under the Afghan Peace and Reintegration Program (APRP). The APRP aims to entice fighters from the battlefield with se...
- An insight of some of the preliminary facts and figures on military spending
- id21 Development Research Reporting Service, 2004
- War in Iraq and Afghanistan, conflict between Israel and Palestine and terrorist attacks in a score of major cities have dominated the international headlines in the last three years. Few doubt their interconnections – although ...
- Family and community-based mediation for dispute resolution in Kabul
- R. Gang / Afghanistan Research and Evaluation Unit, 2011
- Traditional dispute resolution in Afghanistan is focused on ensuring local stability through the provision of a careful balance between locally rooted understandings of justice and peace. This paper examines community-based dispute re...
- How can interventions in fragile states contribute effectively to securing peace and development?
- id21 Development Research Reporting Service, 2007
- Globalisation, liberalisation, and the withdrawal of external support from Cold War alliances have placed enormous strains on some developing countries – best described as ‘fragile states’. These are states with high...
- Simplicity and transparency key to state-building in Afghanistan
- S. Parkinson / Afghanistan Research and Evaluation Unit, 2010
- This study describes a number of national-level policymaking processes in Afghanistan, applying a cross-case analysis of five different case studies. The five cases highlight the complicated and difficult relationship between donors a...
- Oil and gas in Afghanistan: what role for the Norwegian government?
- A. Strand; M. Hakim; S. Newrozi / Chr. Michelsen Institute, Norway, 2010
- This report reviews the process that is underway for exploring and utilising Afghan and regional oil and gas resources, taking into consideration the security situation in north Afghanistan. The report states that Afghan hydrocarbons ...