Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- Policy brief 11: mainstreaming gender equality concerns in Palestinian TVET system
- International Labour Organization, 2012
- This policy brief presents the summary of an assessment1 by the International Labour Organization (ILO) on the Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) sector in the West Bank and Gaza Strip (WBGS). It highlights the ove...
- Is trade policy an appropriate instrument for addressing poverty in the MENA region?
- N. Minot; M.A. Chemingui; M. Thomas / International Food Policy Research Institute, 2010
- The effect of agricultural trade liberalisation on poverty varies widely across countries, in part because the effect of liberalisation on agricultural prices is ambiguous. This report examines the impact of trade liberalisation on no...
- Women in Action: Multiple intolerance, mounting resistance
- C Yiping (ed) / Isis International, Phillipines, 2009
- Women In Action (WIA) is a triannual magazine published by Isis International in Manila. While covering a wide range of issues affecting women globally, it pays particularly close attention to the needs and concerns of women in the Gl...
- The State of World Population 2010: From conflict and crisis to renewal
- United Nations Population Fund, 2010
- This report coincides with the 10th anniversary of UN Security Council Resolution 1325, the first formal attempt of this body to redress the absence or low level of women’s participation in peace and reconstruction efforts. Prev...
- Improving employment prospects for the young in the MENA region
- International Fund for Agricultural Development, 2011
- The Near East and North Africa (NENA) region presents the largest cohort of youth after sub-Saharan Africa, with young people making up 20 per cent of the total population in NENA. Ths paper, prepared for the 34th session of the...
- Palestinian coping strategies during a period of high unemployment
- L.E. Mitchell / Institute for Applied International Studies, Norway, 2010
- How do Palestinian men and women manage their challenging social circumstances? This report examines the school-to-work-to-marriage transition in the West Bank in a context of continued closure, fragmentation, economic stagnation...
- How can UN and INGOs protect Palestinian children under occupation?
- J. Hart; C.L. Forte / Forced Migration Online, 2010
- This paper explores the constraints that international and UN agencies face in protecting Palestinian children in the context of occupation, and the systematic appropriation of land and resources. The authors deem that Israel’s ...
- Rethinking elections in the southern Mediterranean
- M. Zweiri; M. Meyer-Resende / EuroMesco, 2009
- It is generally assumed that elections in the Southern Mediterranean largely lack credibility, being managed events used by political elites to gain political legitimacy with as little challenge to the status quo as possible. Wh...
- Improving security and justice through security sector reform
- N. Bagayoko-Penone / Eldis Gateway to Development and Environment Information, 2010
- Since the late 1990s, security sector reform (SSR) has emerged as a principal activity for promoting peace and stability, and a priority for donors in post-conflict countries. This issue of insights explores the concept of SSR as a co...
- Better integrated management of water resources and regulation is needed to manage chronic water scarcity in this region
- K. Frenken (ed) / Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 2009
- This FAO report aims to provide an accurate status of rural water resources management, with a special focus on irrigation, highlighting the major changes that have occurred in the last decade. In each country, the paper fea...