- The internet: who's in and who's out
1st August 2014 marks 15 years since Eldis first registered its internet domain name eldis.org. So how has the internet changed over that 15 year period and who have been the winners and losers as a result? This timeline uses International Telecommunication Union statistics and other research to highlight some the key developments in global internet use and looks at how the world has changed since that day in August 1999.
- Self Help Group bank linkage: through the responsible finance lens
- P. Agarwal; M. Sharma; A.K. Champatiray / Centre for Micro Finance, India, 2013
- The self-help group (SHG) program began as a women’s empowerment initiative in the 1980’s and added a significant component in 1992, when it linked a small number of SHGs with banks. The objective of this report is to revi...
- Impact of EKO’s SimpliBank on the saving behaviour and practices of low income customers: the Indian experience
- M.A. Nandhi / Centre for Micro Finance, India, 2012
- India has the second largest financially excluded poor in the world, yet given the rising mobile phone usage in the country, m-banking has a great potential for reaching unbanked population. In this respect, EKO mobile banking is an e...
- South-south technology transfer: criteria for evaluation of public policies in the BRICS countries
- BRICS Policy Center / Centro de Estudos e Pesquisas BRICS, 2013
- This Policy Brief reviews the existing literature concerned with analytical and conceptual models to evaluate technology transfer (TT) practices in cooperation projects, aiming at contributing to the formulation of effective public po...
- A fine balance: mapping cyber (in)security in Latin America
- G. Diniz; R. Muggah / Igarape Institute, 2012
- Cyber-security is emerging as a dominant area of concern amongst many governments and civil societies across Latin America. Although the existence of cyberspace is already generating a massive evolution in all aspects of life, it is e...
- New technologies for improving old public security challenges in Nairobi
- M. Frilander; J. Lundine; D. Kutalek / Igarape Institute, 2014
- This paper maps out the digital environment shaping public security in selected informal settlements of Nairobi. In particular, the paper considers the diverse ways in which information communication technologies (ICTs) are being adop...