Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- More availability and affordability is required in maternal and child health services in Laos
- C. Anuranga; J. Chandrasiri; R. Wickramasinghe / Asian Development Bank, 2012
- Limited progress has been made in the past decade in reducing the high levels of maternal and child deaths in the Lao People’s Democratic Republic (Lao PDR). This paper highlights the fact that Laotian women and children are ina...
- The Lao economy: capitalizing on natural resource exports
- J. Menon; P. Warr / Asian Development Bank, 2013
- Trade and investment reforms in the Laos since the mid-1980s have boosted natural resource-based exports, underpinning recent economic growth. This paper examines how the Lao export-led growth can be channeled into directions that del...
- Investments in deep water: The pension fund’s holdings in destructive dam projects
- S. K. Hernes 2011
- Through the Government Pension Fund (hereby referred to as The Fund) income from the Norwegian oil activities is invested in foreign security. This report is divided into three parts. The first part deals with how The Fund is managed ...
- Health-financing reforms in seven south-east -Asian countries
- V. Tangcharoensathien; W. Patcharanarumol; P. Ir / The Lancet, 2011
- Health-financing reforms in seven south-east-Asian countries are reviewed in this study. Those countries have sought to reduce dependence on out-of-pocket payments, increase pooled health finance, and expand service, stepping towards ...
- The need for community-based home care for older people in South East Asia
- HelpAge International, 2011
- This paper outlines the growing need for community-based home care for older people in South East Asia. It explains the model of home care introduced by HelpAge Korea in collaboration with HelpAge International in the 10 countries of ...
- How pro-poor tourism has developed and some myths and misconceptions that have arisen around this term
- id21 Development Research Reporting Service, 2006
- Pro-poor tourism should increase the benefits of the tourism industry for poor people. It is a term increasingly used by several development agencies, but what does it mean in practice? This issue of id21 insights, shows t...
- 'Communication for empowerment' for democratic governance and social accountability
- E. McCall (ed); B. Jallov / UNDP Oslo Governance Centre, 2010
- This paper highlights the importance of communication as a tool and a methodology that can make development strategies more effective, sustainable, and pro-poor and gender-sensitive. Communication has the power to change societi...
- Improving security and justice through security sector reform
- N. Bagayoko-Penone / Eldis Gateway to Development and Environment Information, 2010
- Since the late 1990s, security sector reform (SSR) has emerged as a principal activity for promoting peace and stability, and a priority for donors in post-conflict countries. This issue of insights explores the concept of SSR as a co...
- The impact of the Theun-Hinboun Expansion Project on vulnerable people in central Laos
- I. Matsumoto / Association for International Water and Forest Studies, Norway, 2009
- This paper sheds light on the Theun-Hinboun Expansion Project in central Laos, demonstrating its impacts on vulnerable people. The Project started construction in 2008 and is expected to be completed in 2011. The paper shows that it i...
- Achieving the Millenuim Development Goal 7: case study of Lao
- G. Hutton; B. Larsen; L. Leebouapao / UNDP - World Bank Water and Sanitation Program, 2009
- Unimproved sanitation and hygiene have a wide array of impacts, which can be categorized into impacts on health, water, time use, and tourism. This study shows that a significant number of people living with unimproved household sanit...