Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- The Double Burden of Obesity and Malnutrition in a Protracted Emergency Setting: A Cross-Sectional Study of Western Sahara Refugees
- S. Carlos / PLoS Medicine, 2010
- Background Households from vulnerable groups experiencing epidemiological transitions are known to be affected concomitantly by under-nutrition and obesity. Yet, it is unknown to what extent this double burden affects refugee populati...
- Making migration a development factor: the case of North and West Africa
- International Labour Organization, 2010
- Migration can be a positive factor in the development of countries of origin through two main channels - remittances and return migration. But, in looking at five countries (Algeria, Mauritania, Morocco, Senegal and Tunisia) this repo...
- Bridging a crucial gap in knowledge of the use of information and communication technologies (ICTs) in Africa
- G. Farrell; S. Isaacs 2007
- This 'Survey of ICT and Education in Africa' seeks to gather together in a single resource the most relevant and useful information on ICT in education activities in Africa. This report synthesises the findings from a survey that was ...
- Improving employment prospects for the young in the MENA region
- International Fund for Agricultural Development, 2011
- The Near East and North Africa (NENA) region presents the largest cohort of youth after sub-Saharan Africa, with young people making up 20 per cent of the total population in NENA. Ths paper, prepared for the 34th session of the...
- Was the APRM process in Algeria a success?
- M. Boumghar (ed) / Africa Governance Monitoring and Advocacy Project, 2009
- Algeria was one of the initiators of the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD) and the African Peer Review Mechanism (APRM). This report is about the APRM self assessment by Algeria. It states that although the assess...
- Improving security and justice through security sector reform
- N. Bagayoko-Penone / Eldis Gateway to Development and Environment Information, 2010
- Since the late 1990s, security sector reform (SSR) has emerged as a principal activity for promoting peace and stability, and a priority for donors in post-conflict countries. This issue of insights explores the concept of SSR as a co...
- Better integrated management of water resources and regulation is needed to manage chronic water scarcity in this region
- K. Frenken (ed) / Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 2009
- This FAO report aims to provide an accurate status of rural water resources management, with a special focus on irrigation, highlighting the major changes that have occurred in the last decade. In each country, the paper fea...
- Urgent need for climate change adaptation measures in Arab countries
- M.K. Tolba (ed); N.W. Saab (ed) / Arab Forum for Environment and Development, 2009
- Although greenhouse gas emissions from the Arab world amount to 4.2% of global emissions, the impact of climate change on the fragile environment of the region and its people is expected to be immense. This report aims to provide info...
- Guidance for NGOs on human rights work in the Middle East and North Africa
- A. Bendrif; S. al Karaguly; M. Laghzaoui; et al. / Network Learning, 2009
- The international human rights system has been slow to develop in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region. However, non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and civil society organisations (CSOs) can play an important role advocat...
- What is the situation of IDPs in Algeria?
- Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre, 2009
- Although Algeria has been affected by large-scale internal displacement caused by the internal conflict that has ravaged the country since the early 1990s, very little information is available on the current situation of the displaced...
- Université Abou Bekr Belkaid, Tlemcen, Algeria
- Teaching and research university
- Centre de Recherche en Economie Appliquée pour le Développment, Algeria (CREAD)
- Algerian applied economics research centre
- National Office of Statistics, Algeria
- National statistical office
- News releases, official statements and summary of Algerian Press by the Embassy of Algeria, in English and French.
- News and discussions of Algerian affairs, especially political and religious topics, in English and French.